Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fantasy Rumblings Week 4

Had another good week, this time going 4-1 in league play. Only loss was the Total Dynasty League in which I'm now 0-3. In every other league I'm 2-1 and off to a decent start. This week so far has been a drag, working nine hour days and going to bed early, thus missing football games I really wanted to watch, but sometimes it's a lot easier on the heart NOT to watch them, especially if your fantasy game is on the line.
________________________________________

Icon Fantasy Football League Update

Defeated my old buddy Dave's Cincinnati Superstars in a low scoring, highly stressful affair: 31-27. Thank god I made a last minute change to my lineup and inserted LeSean McCoy for Felix Jones, otherwise I would have been a beaten man. And also thanks to Dave for changing his mind and NOT benching Kurt Warner for Joe Flacco. After having made my own QB blunder in Week 1, I can be a little sympathetic ............ oh who am I kidding? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! GOT YA DAVE!!

Unfortunately, even at 2-1 I'm 4TH in my division behind teams who have scored more points. I've got to gain some ground on these guys. This week I face my nemesis. A guy I've played with for many years, but have only beaten maybe twice. Dave's brother John Hatfield and his Green Bay Dynasty.



Shady lookin character aint he? Seriously though, my luck against him is horrible. Lost to him twice last year and his team this year is MUCH better. He's off to a 3-0 start, thanks to Peyton Manning's colossal numbers the first three weeks. He also has Reggie Wayne, Santonio Holmes, and possibly Marion Barber (if he plays). The Colts play the Seahawks, so I'm figuring on seeing more big numbers from Manning and Wayne. I'm going to need a big game from Carson Palmer and Chad Ochocinco to keep up.

My tentative lineup for the week:

TMQB Cincinnati (Carson Palmer) @Cleveland - Starting him over Romo again, but I can't turn down this matchup against the Browns. They've been throttled every week and Cincy should be able to follow suit.

RB Chris Johnson (Tenn) @Jacksonville - Hoping this is an UP week for my 1st Rounder.

WR Randy Moss (NE) vs. Baltimore - Moss has got to start scoring TDs SOMETIME.

WR Devin Hester (Chic) vs. Detroit - Great matchup, could have another long TD or two.

WR Chad Ochocinco (Cin) @Cleveland - See Palmer above.

WR Mario Manningham (NYG) @Kansas City - Another great matchup against a terrible Chief defense.

PK Ryan Longwell (Minn) vs. Green Bay - Longwell saved my butt last week and is the top scoring kicker early on. If I'm behind by less than 10 points going into Monday night, I'll be praying for some more FGs.

DST NY Jets @ New Orleans Not expecting to get any bonuses for points allowed, but there's always the chance of a Leon Washington kick return TD.

All of my players except Longwell and the Jets DST play in the 1:00 games so by 4:00 I'll have a pretty good idea how I did. My only other possible option this week because of byes would be McFadden against the Texans swiss cheese run defense. But the way the Raiders played this past week, and the three fumbles McFadden had, I'm not comfortable with starting him.

Okay John, let's see if I finally get a win against you. I've got the matchups to do it.
________________________________________

Other Results

RapidDraft - Won 124-103 vs. Victoria
16 Man Fanatics Brawl League - Won 122.38-81.08 vs. bad runners
FFTwitter League - Won 93.82-59.58 vs. Greenbacks
Total Dynasty League - Lost 257.219-168.576 to the Carolina Panthers
________________________________________

Predictions

Went 2 out of 3 last week, but the one that was wrong was REEEEEEEEEEEALLY wrong. Still can't believe how bad the Raiders played against the Broncos. Here's my forecast for Week 4.

- Both Matt Forte and Steve Slaton will score their first TDs of the season.

- Bret Favre will beat his former team the Green Bay Packers. (With Adrian Peterson's help.)

- The Cleveland Browns will score at TWO offensive TDs against the Bengals.
________________________________________

Perturbed

For years now I've been picking up a USA Today Sports Weekly every Wednesday morning at one of the two local Speedways. But for the past month or so they have not gotten them. Come to find out they changed carriers here in town of the USA Todays. They are now distributed by our local paper The Marion Star ... a very unreliable carrier. It took them two weeks to even get the daily USA Todays to the stores. Now it's looking like they are not even going to bother distributing the Sports Weekly.

Having an apartment, I don't want to get a subscription because it likely would get stolen from time to time. But even if I did, I don't know if I'd even get it. It seems The Marion Star has total control of the USA Today distribution in town and from what I'm hearing, really didn't want to do it in the first place. The Star is a small town rag that has gone down in quality in recent years. I'll pick up a Columbus Dispatch before even considering getting a Star.

So, I'm left wanting. It sucks, I love the fantasy rankings and articles by Matt Pitzer. I love the game previews and the stats. Guess I'll just have to rely on the internet for all of that and take to reading The Dispatch at work everyday instead.

No comments: