Thursday, August 24, 2006

HAFFL Draft Report (Part Two)







At tight end is where I suffered my one disappointment. I really wanted Todd Heap and thought he would last until my pick in the sixth round, but the Columbus Crazies snatched him up three picks ahead of me. So I settled on Vernon Davis, who should be the 49ers featured receiver, but will he put up decent numbers in that offense this year? Winslow was also a "settle for" pick as I had L.J. Smith targeted in the 12th round only to see him go one spot ahead of me to the Anchorage Night Watch. Maybe Winslow will have a breakout season, but again, it's a poor offense in Cleveland so he's a dubious choice.

For once I actually resisited the urge to pick a kicker or defense early ... I actually waited until round sixteen to grab either and I'm still pretty pleased with who I got. Janikowski has been a disappointment over the years, never living up to his 1st round pick label, but he HAS been kicking fifty yarders in the preseason, so maybe he can actually be more accurate this year. Miami should have an improved offense this year, giving Mare more chances for field goals and XPs.

On defense I said screw it and went for two who had good returners since we added points for return yards. (I'm still trying to figure THAT one out, but oh well.) The Redskins are actually a solid defense that added Antwan Randall El to the mix and he could return a few punts for scores. Kansas City of course has the X-Factor Dante Hall plus some solid defenders like James Hall and Derrick Johnson, so they are a good number two option.

All in all, I'm pleased with the Icons this year and think I have a contender on my hands. One bit of positive news ... if you can call a season ending injury positive .... is that James Mungro is out for the year at RB for the Colts, which eliminates him from contending for any touches with Rhodes and Addai. Which makes me feel better about grabbing them both.

Now on to this coming draft in the IFFL this Sunday. I have the fifth overall pick and unlike most leagues, this is a receiver-happy group who will most likely snap up a good amount of receivers early and often in the first few rounds as opposed to the normal grabbing of the RBs. It's our scoring system and the fact that a certain individual has had tremendous sucess in the past with his run and shoot style drafting that causes this WR first mentality. To this end I am actually considering a receiver at the fifth overall pick. (I hear a lot of gasping from the peanut gallery.) But it may or may not play out that way because I'm starting to second guess the guy I had targeted for that slot.

More on this later. It's time for me to sign off.

No comments: