Sunday, August 02, 2009

Random Rumblings

It's a glorious time of year! Training camps are open, first round picks are signing (and getting injured), and I'm getting the drafting bug. This year I'm playing in three leagues: Total Dynasty League run by Joshua Torrey of Fantasy Depth Chart, the FFtwitter League at Yahoo started by Marcella Surra of Fantasy Smarts.com , and of course my home league the Icon Fantasy Football League in it's seventh year. The latter two will have their drafts just before the season starts and I'm chomping at the bit to get to it. Already plotting, already scheming .... already rambling.
_____________________________________________________

Total Dynasty League Update

This week I found out I had six players on my team that the former owner didn't bother adding to the roster:

WR Robert Meachem (NO) Was pleased about finding out the third year wideout was on my roster. Reports out of Saints training camp say he has showed improvement and that QB Drew Brees has even given him kudos. He had a couple of big plays last year for the Saints and if Marques Colston, Deverly Henderson, or Lance Moore get injured, I'd have a real sleeper on my hands.

P Brad Maynard (Chic) Glad to see I'm not going to have to research punters as much as I would have.

LB Vernon Gholston (NYJ) Another pleasant surprise as I had him targeted in free agency. The second year LB from Ohio State should benefit from Jets HC Rex Ryan's tutelage and hopefully be utilized as more of a pass rusher. Huge upside here.

LB Dan Morgan (FA) Last with the Saints. He's retired, so I released him.

CB Randal Gay (NO) With a glut of DBs in New Orleans his value is uncertain.

CB Usama Young (NO) See Randal Gay above. Not sure what the previous owner saw in all these Saints players.....

Was glad to get some depth at WR and LB. Still need to target QB, RB, DT, and S in free agency ... which hopefully will happen in the next week or two.
_____________________________________________________

Brett Favre

Was surprised, but glad he finally made a decision. After watching his interview with Joe Buck a few weeks back I totally expected him to be playing for the Vikings come September. But he's right, why risk a repeat of last year when his body failed him toward the end of the season with the Jets. Enjoy retirement Brett, you've earned it, but now I've got to find another QB to target in Total Dynasty free agency. Darn it all!
_____________________________________________________

Chris "Beanie" Wells

Not a good sign. Wells was carted off of the practice field mere hours after signing his 5 year deal. Reports say it's only a mild ankle sprain, but this only reinforces his reputation for being injury prone and will certainly hinder his chances of gaining the starting RB job from Tim Hightower. Being a Buckeye fan, I'm used to Wells getting hurt ... so I'm not surprised, just disappointed.
_____________________________________________________

Michael Vick

Love him or hate him, you would think he could make at least a small impact for any team wanting to run the Wildcat. But with all of the "Rules" attached to signing him, you really have to wonder if he's worth it for NFL teams to go through the PR chaos just to run a play or two with him in the lineup in November and December. He's definitely not worth drafting in fantasy ... I don't care how deep your league is.
_____________________________________________________

Dirty Dungarees

This time of year I can't help reminiscing about the summer of 1991, the first year I participated in fantasy football. My first draft was held at a laundromat/bar on the Ohio State campus in Columbus called Dirty Dungarees. I didn't know a sleeper from a sleepwalker then and I showed it by taking an IDP in the third round!! (DE Bruce Smith). Somehow I muddled through the season and actually made the playoffs. From there I was hooked, never to look back. Dirty Dungarees is still there on High Street. I haven't had time to make my way down there in over fifteen years.... so if any of you stop in there, have a drink for me.
_____________________________________________________

Thanks for listening to me go on. Enjoy training camps!

No comments: