Monday, August 17, 2009

Random Rumblings III

Another busy week in the NFL as preseason is heating up and the questions about who will sign Michael Vick were finally answered. My fantasy preseason is in full swing as well as I have worked the phones, crammed for drafts and am in full GM mode.

_____________________________________________________

Dynasty League Update

Free agency finally began and I was able to fill out my roster and get some depth at key positions. I also made a risky trade just before FA opened. I traded WR DeSean Jackson and QB Jason Campbell for QB Jamarcus Russell and WR Ted Ginn Jr. I hated giving up DeSean because he is a high upside prospect, but I needed a QB that had better upside then Joe Flacco or Campbell and I'm optimistic that Russell could break out and produce decent numbers this year. Ginn has upside, but he needs a stronger armed QB than Chad Pennington before he becomes the deep threat he's capable of. Maybe if/when Chad Henne takes over at QB for the Dolphins, Ginn will finally produce the big plays.

Made another trade on Saturday giving up rookie S William Moore of the Falcons for WR Johnny Lee Higgins of the Raiders. I figure Higgins can be an alternate KR to Leodis McKelvin and a possible bye week starter. He did show the ability to catch the long TD last year.

Free Agency brought in some good talent and much needed depth:

RB Sammy Morris (NE) - Should get decent amount of touches in Pats running game.

WR Shaun McDonald (Pit) Will be at least the #4 WR for the Steelers.

LB Scott Fujita (NO) Had 81 tackles and two INTs for the Saints last year. Possible starter for me.

P Andy Lee (SF) Needed a backup punter. Wasn't picky.

S Dawan Landry (Bal) Should have a much better season than last year. Will be starting two Landrys at safety.

QB Troy Smith (Bal) Signed him to the practice squad as Joe Flacco insurance.

WR Brian Hartline (Mia) Signed him to the practice squad. Buried on the depth chart in Miami but might be used as a returner this year.

DE Lawrence Sidbury (Atl) Practice squad, but he's a sleeper.

LB Marcus Freeman (Chic) He's also on the practice squad. Love my former Buckeyes!

RB Lamont Jordan (Den) With Moreno hurting he might see more carries than expected. Goal line monster?

DT Adam Carriker (Stl) Should be decent for Rams, maybe a spot starter for me.

DT Sen'Derrick Marks (Ten) May be the one who takes over for Albert Haynesworth eventually. A project or maybe trade bait.

Still trying to get a backup kicker! I've had bids on Shayne Graham and Jeff Reed taken away from me and I refuse to pay anymore than $1 in salary for one.
_____________________________________________________

Michael Vick

At first I was surprised that it was the Eagles who pulled the trigger on the former Falcon QB, but when you think about it, it actually makes perfect sense. Vick has always looked up to Donavan McNabb and the Eagles have a solid support system in place. Eagle fans may not like the move, but there is a chance that if Vick does all the right things ... he could be a starting QB in the league again someday. Personally, I'm rooting for Vick to prove all of his doubters wrong. Good luck Mike.
_____________________________________________________

Maurice Jones-Drew

I just don't feel the love others do for the fourth year RB in Jacksonville. I cannot see him as a Top 5 fantasy RB, no matter how hard I try. I've read and listened to all of the reasons people see MJD as a Top 5 RB .... but I can't buy it. He's a great player, but with his size I don't see him being able to go a full season as a feature back getting 25-30 touches a game.

He reminds me of a Darren Sproles or Leon Washington Great on returns ... great receiver out of the backfield ... and even effective in limited carries. He's like an Eric Metcalf or a David Meggett type. (Meggett was also 5'7" and only about ten pounds lighter than Jones-Drew.) But if he is used like an LT or a Steven Jackson, he's eventually going to wear down. He needs to be paired with another back like Fred Taylor to be effective for a full season. I don't like him in the first half of the first round. There at least seven RBs I'd take first.

_____________________________________________________

Fantasy Fanatics Brawl League

Just recently joined a league with my comrades at Fantasy Football Rankings. First 16 man draft I've ever been a part of and I like what I came out of it with. (PPR and 6 point passing TDs.)

Team 4th And 37: (Picked 13th)

1st: QB Tom Brady: Would have taken him as soon as 4th or 5th pick. With 6 points per passing TD, it was a must for me to get a top tier QB. If he's anywhere close to 2007's totals I got me a top scorer.

2nd: WR Randy Moss: Well let's see, if Brady is going to be a 30-40 TD passer, who will benefit most from him returning to form? Yep, that would be Moss. I can see 15-17 TDs easy.

3rd: RB Darren McFadden: Was surprised to see him still here after 45 picks. If he stays healthy I could have a steal.

4th: RB Felix Jones: You look at his first six games last year before he got injured and you could see he was a stud. He also returns kicks which in a league where we get points for TDs on returns is a bonus. If Barber gets hurt I got an awesome #2RB. As it is, Barber may steal his TDs at the goal-line, but he'll get the yards and a few long TDs himself.

5th: RB Donald Brown: I didn't like any of the WRs left at this point so I thought I'd grab my flex RB first. I like Brown to eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later) overtake Addai as the lead RB for the Colts.

6th: WR Devin Hester: Jay Cutler's arrival should help him. He may not be a returner anymore, but he still got speed and elusiveness. Not the worst #2 WR I could have.

7th: TE Dustin Keller: Broke down and took a TE way earlier than I normally do. Could have waited another round or two at least and grabbed Celek. Still, Keller should be decent in a conservative offense even with a rookie QB.

8th: WR Percy Harvin: Was hoping Ted Ginn would fall to me here, but it didn't happen so I took a chance on Harvin. Huge upside as my third WR.

9th: QB Trent Edwards: Looked at Patriots bye week to see who would be a good matchup but also be a decent emergency starter if Brady got hurt. Bills play Houston at home on Brady's bye week so I have what I think is a good starter then ... and a good starter if Brady gets hurt.

10th: RB Jamaal Charles: Good third down PPR back who could become starter if Larry Johnson implodes again.

11th: RB Michael Bush: Could be my favorite pick. It handcuffs McFadden and makes me feel better about the risks involved in taking him.

12th: WR Davone Bess: The WRs were picked over pretty good at this point. Just threw a dart at the board and it stuck to Bess. He didn't complain much and it didn't draw blood so it's all good.

13th: TE Brandon Pettigrew: I do love rookies and this was my third. He's got potential and I like him as my second TE.

14th: WR Keenan Burton: With Donnie Avery nicked up, it gives Burton a chance to shine. He did show ability what little he played last year.

15th: K Matt Prater: Yep, waited until the last rounds to get my kicker. They're all the same anyway, really. Place your bets.

16th: D/ST Buffalo: See last pick.


Basically what this team boils down to is this: Brady to Moss! Brady to Moss! Brady to Moss! If they can pick up where they left off in 2007, I've got a contender. If not .... better luck next year I guess.
_____________________________________________________

No comments: