Wednesday, June 24, 2009

5 Guys I Won't Touch in 2009 Fantasy Football

Every year there a few guys that just scream "RED ALERT!" to me. Last year I had guys like WR Marvin Harrison (correct), RB Chris Johnson (wrong), WR Joey Galloway (right), and RB Brian Westbrook (wrong) pegged as players I would avoid. And while some might criticize me for being so negative and actually eliminating players before the draft, I find it interesting to see if I'm right or wrong when the season is over. Here's a few guys I could see either falling in production, or crapping out all together in 2009 ... so I probably won't draft them unless they fall way lower than their value.

- RB Clinton Portis (Was) Portis toughed it out through injuries last year to put up good numbers, but his history of bumps and bruises is starting to pile up. For the most part, he tends to carry the Redskin offense and with very few changes to personnel on that side of the ball he will again be counted on heavily which could easily lead to a very fatigued and very injured RB.

- WR Antonio Bryant (TB) The term "One Year Wonder" comes to mind whenever I see or hear his name. Yes, he had a huge season for the Buccaneers last year, but he was out to prove himself. This year, his ego will be recharged and he will be playing with a new QB (possibly a rookie) and working with a new coaching staff. Despite the fact he was franchised by the new regime in Tampa, I strongly believe he cannot repeat the numbers he had last season.

- QB Marc Bulger (STL) Inexperienced receivers, a young offensive line, and durability issues will be his undoing this year. With the departures of Torry Holt and Orlando Pace, Bulger is now the captain of a sinking passing game. It's unlikely he'll have any serious impact this year, so why even bother with him?

- WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (Oak) I'm still trying to swallow the fact the Raiders took him instead of Crabtree or Maclin without trying to trade down to get him. He's already gotten injured in OTAs and I have a feeling it won't get a lot better in his rookie year. I'll be shocked if he scores more than three TDs this year, if that.

- RB Jamal Lewis (Cle) Give him credit for toughing it out in Cleveland the last couple of years, but the writing is on the wall for the former 2000 yard rusher. He is still projected to be the Brown's starting RB, but on a team with a new staff, a new offense, and an unstable QB situation I don't like his prospects for 2009.

1 comment:

Mark G. (FF101) said...

I agree 100% on all 5 players. Last season was it for Portis. He's been beat up too much for my liking.

I've NEVER had Lewis on a team of mine...just don't care for him.

Bryant's ego is going to be his downfall.

Bulger is too gun shy after practically getting killed by opposing defenses over the last few years.

And Bey, well he's on Oakland, enough said.